Saturday, January 26, 2008

Fikira and Maoni on the Kenyan Crisis 17

Leo hii nakumbuka niliyoyaona jana ndani ya bunge. And it makes me realise kwamba siitaji tena kumuumiza jirani yangu.


I would have gone to the streets today IF: In parliament on the 15th January 08,

1. My leader looted from another leader
2. My leader hacked another leader with a machete (is that the spelling?)
3. My leader refused to talk to another leader
4. My leader burnt cars belonging to other leaders and later torched their houses at night
5. My leader, together with others of his ethnic background, drove other leaders out of parliament simply because of their Tribal difference.

I am proud to say this did not happen at all. Infact, my leader and his colleagues used words such as "my WORTHY colleague", my Friend" Mr. So and so, HOUNRABLE so and so, etc. They were STRANGERS only until they were sworn in. Did we not see them crossing the floors several times to shake hands and congratulate each other, laugh and joke, even as they deliberated on turbulent issues?

Did we not see the two sides conceding defeat or celebrate victory when the other side won or lost. They were true examples to be followed. We saw Cecily chat with Charity, the likes of Mudavadi and Margaret Wanjiru shook hands with Kibaki, they pledged to respect the presidency; when in doubt, they rose points of ORDER, which were deliberated amicably; even when some attempted to flout laid House procedures, they were firmly (but without violence) corrected through the said points of ORDER.

They sat in pains until 1.30 am, to ensure that all that needed discussion received the time it deserved. So today, and tomorrow and the day after, I will go back to my neighbour and call her "my dear" and all the nice words that we have been calling each other, I will smile and shake her hands as before, even hug her - why not? I will welcome her children to my home (I know the poor kids sooo want to play with mine...) I will open my door when she knocks for a matchbox, or salt, or when they need us to push-start their car, I will not poison their dogs or spray grafitti on their walls; and I will use the jembes and the pangas in my GARDEN, only when it RAINS. Because that is what my leader did at the House.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment here