Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Agony of an African Student in Europe

Today I got my mark for statistical methods. The only two lowest scorers were two Africans me from Kenya and another from Ethiopia. I am sure that there was a hand of racism in the grading system. I immediately wrote the following letter to the professor

I saw my mark today for statistical methods and was shocked!

I kindly therefore ask that you may give me an appointment to see how I was graded. I sincerely have a problem with the mark! It has made me so sad and I do not think it is a fair mark.

I await for the professor's answer. It is sad at this time that racism still rears its ugly head even in the institutions of learning. This reminds me of last year where I scored low marks in another course known as behavioral economics but I kept quiet. This time I intend to confront the professors when I feel there is unfairness. I am not very desperate for the ultimate certificate but I also care that there should be fairness.

4 comments:

  1. Hi - I know what you are saying - /That is, I could relate to this myself, only someplace else in diaspora/ Just please keep me posted as to what happens next. Anyway, maybe it's April Fool's - Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. actzen. Thanks this experience was too painful. I think you have inspired me to build this story further and I will continuously update it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry what matters in a PhD is the thesis not this boring courses

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Post your comment here